THE Zimbabwe Football Association(ZIFA) has urged the Confederation of African Football (CAF) to postpone the CHAN tournament which is set to begin this month in Cameroon.
Warriors are expected to feature at the sixth edition of the CHAN tournament set to kick start on the 16 of January 2021.
ZIFA proposed to CAF after the Warriors’ camp was hit by an outbreak of COVID-19 last week, fourteen members of the national team that are nine players and five officials including coach Zdravko Logarusic tested positive for the virus.
This development caused the suspension of training for the past week.
Speaking about the CHAN tournament, ZIFA spokesperson Xolisani Gwesela told the media that at the moment the warriors are grounded.
“Our players are still in quarantine and they will only be retested after 10 days (on Thursday) to see if there are any recoveries. We also have another group of players on standby,” Gwesela said.
“But we have proposed to CAF that the tournament be postponed to safeguard the health of the players since Covid-19 cases have been on the rise across the continent,” he said.
The additional lockdown measures have also thrown doubt on the participation of Warriors in the CHAN tournament as they now need to seek fresh clearance from the Ministry of Youth, Arts, Sports and Recreation.
ZIFA had been granted permission last November to prepare and participate in CAF tournaments following the gradual lifting of the initial lockdown measures.
The Zimbabwe Stock Exchange (ZSE) all share price index finished the week ending 15 Octobe…